This week I started cooking out of the Your Family March 2011. They had a "Bonus Meals for a Month" article and I thought I would try it out. I hate thinking of what to make each night for supper so this is really nice. I am on day 4 now and I am enjoying the meals very much. Last night we had this pie. Orin used a cookie cutter to make the hearts for me.
Preheat oven to 180 C
Place 4 peeled and thinly sliced potatoes on an oiled baking tray (I just used baking paper)
drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, roast for 15 minutes. (I baked them for 25 minutes while I was preparing everything else).
Heat a further 3 tbs olive oil and 2 tbsp butter in a pan over low heat.
Add 4 onions, cut into thing wedges, and cook for 20 minutes until soft and golden.
Set aside to cool.
Combine onion and potato with 125ml cream, 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves and 2 crushed garlic cloves.
Season and set aside to cool.
Roll out 2x275g blocks puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to 35cmx20cm rectangles.
Place one sheet on a lightly floured baking tray and spread the mixture in the centre, leaving a 2cm border. Brush edge with beaten egg, place other sheet on top and press together, pinching until sealed.
Brush with more egg.
Make 2 air holes in the top and bake for 25 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serves 4.





recipe please!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhy can't I see the instructions? Or is it so easy that it doesn't need instructions ;) It looks yummy though and I love vegetarian food so very excited to know how to make it ...
ReplyDeleteoh, i just highlighted the page and found the recipe! i cant wait to try it. Looks divine Ruby!
ReplyDeleteHaha court, now that's what I call team work. When I realised my comment wasn't visible I suddently thought maybe I should highlight the page - and like magic the recipie appeared :) :)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds decadent Rubes - cream, garlic and all those yummy things. I will most definitely give it a try (even though I don't normally cook)
This is the funniest thing for me. When you two wrote your first comments I hadn't posted the recipe yet. I was interrupted by the boys and hadn't typed out the instructions. When you both started talking about highlighting the page I went to check my blog and realised with all my messing around I had changed the font to white by mistake. So yes, team work all around and thank you very much!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this recipe - we have made friends with an Indian couple here and they are vegetarian. We are always invited to their house for awesome curries - but I never have any CLUE what to feed them! So if you have any more vegetarian dishes - and any other budget dishes - they would be greatly appreciated!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's a pleasure Tammy. I will see what I can do :-)
ReplyDeleteThis looks so yummy and it looks like you could get creative with it and make it in many different variations. Would be yummy with (mince meat, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese), or (feta and spinich), or (chicken and broccolli with cheddar cheese), or even as a dessert (baked apples and cinnamon)served with ice cream. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete