Pages

Search

Thursday, 13 September 2012

Tears that don't stop

Today I went Visiting Teaching. We had been given a new assignment.  I had sat next to this sister once in church and her children played with Orin's crayons and coloured in.  Well today I went to visit her in her home.  I was immediately so humbled.  Her husband and herself and two small children are living in a room about the size of a double bed plus maybe another metre on each side.  Everything was so neat and clean and each item had been assigned a specific place.

We chatted for a while as we sat on her bed, playing with the children.  After my companion had given the lesson she stood up and started dishing up two plates of food for us.  She said that she had eaten already and I wondered if she was going without lunch so that we could eat as it was only eleven o'clock.  The food was simple but delicious and I could barely keep my emotions in check as I ate.

I have spent the whole afternoon thinking of ways that I can help her and her family to be more comfortable.  They are both such nice people and always seem so happy at church.  And I think they ARE happy, but what can I do to change their lives.  I got to thinking about the heaviness I feel, so helpless to provide a bigger room for them.  Will we feel such strong, painful feelings of empathy for those that suffer once we pass on.  Logan's Dad told me that he thinks we will.  Heavenly Father weeps for us as we make mistakes and as He sees His children suffer.  I think maybe we will feel less powerless to help those that need us and that will make all the difference.


2 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Ruby! You are a blessing to that sweet family, I am sure. What a wonderful example they are too of being happy no matter what the circumstance. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle. I hope I am a blessing to them :)

    ReplyDelete