Pages

Search

Friday, 19 September 2008

A Celebration

This is the second year in a row that I have forgotten a cancer anniversary!!! I just realised today that it is 8 years since I finished my chemotherapy. The 15th of September has always been a good day for me. It was the day that Dr. Chasen (my hero) announced that I was finished with chemo. We went to the Pretoria zoo afterwards and ate chicken and egg mayonnaise sandwiches. I remember feeling so joyful to be alive and able to go forward with my life. It has taken a long time to go from "my cancer" to "the cancer", to not let it consume me and make me who I am.

I don't want to forget completely. Cancer brought out the best in those I know. A ward fasted for me, old friends visiting, gifts, Tracy's pedicure, Bro. George's visits, a haircut in hospital, family, housekeeping angels coming to visit. A growing experience that taught me much - that I have many people who love me. It makes me sad to think that there are those who go through this alone.


And in final celebration: A picture of my insides :-)

4 comments:

  1. Congradulations Ruby! What a sweet reminder that life is such a gift! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby, I'm so glad your cancer free! Sorry I wasn't there for you as much as I could have been when you went through that.
    Also...this helps me realize what a blessing it is to have good health.
    May you and your sweet family have many years of good health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh ruby, it's so inspiring to read how you could turn it into a more optimistic life!! i realized as i was reading it's almost 11 years!!! & four beautiful boys later!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liezel. Thanks for your kind comment. Yes I can't believe it is 11 years already either!

    ReplyDelete